Skylights proving natural light in areas where windows won’t normally fit in. If you are considering having one installed, certified roofing contractor Colonial Remodeling, LLC shares important things you should consider first.
- Roof Framing — Skylights need to be anchored to the roof framing. Today’s roofing systems are built with truss frames, which are not designed to be cut out once installed. Which means, if you’re having skylights installed on such a roof, you will have to make compromises on its location and/or size. While stick-framed roofs are less common, its structure lets you cut out holes for the skylights virtually anywhere.
- Energy Efficiency Features — If you’ve had your windows replaced recently, you may already be familiar with the benefits of ENERGY STAR® certified windows. Many of today’s skylights offer the same benefits, such as energy savings derived from insulated glass. Choose a contractor who also offers roofing services for your skylight installation, so you can rest assured they will not let your roof be damaged.
- Ventilation — Certain types of skylights, called vented skylights, can be opened and closed for ventilation. They feature mechanisms that are very similar to casement windows. The sashes can be opened using a hand crank or a remote-controlled motor. Ventilation helps maintain indoor air quality by flushing indoor air pollutants, including mold and mildew spores.
- Direction — Skylight direction is important. North-facing roof slopes are the ideal location, as they receive the most amount of natural light all year round. Avoid directions where the view would be blocked by a nearby building that happens to be too tall. Otherwise, you won’t get as bright a natural light as you want, not to mention you’d end up with a boring wall as your view.
- Maintenance Requirements — As with most types of windows, skylights require regular maintenance, which you should be willing to commit to. Skylights need to be inspected for leaks regularly; it is, after all, a part of the roof. You can clean skylights from the indoors using a telescoping mop from the inside, and a telescoping spray washer from the outside. You may need to hire professional cleaners if cleaning the skylights becomes a hazard.
Colonial Remodeling, LLC is your leading provider of skylight installation and other metal roofing services. Give us a call at (703) 534-0800 or fill out our contact form. We serve customers in Arlington, VA, and nearby areas.