Hail Damage Information for Homeowners
Your home’s exterior can take a real beating during the frequent intense storms that we experience in the DC Metro area. A hail storm, especially, can leave an enormous amount of damage to your roof, siding, gutters and windows. Hail over .75 inches in diameter can cause granule loss on your roof and dents and dings to vinyl and aluminum siding. Colonial Remodeling LLC has a team of seasoned experts who will thoroughly inspect your home for weather damage.
The main signs of hail damage usually include:
- Bruised roof shingles (granule loss)
- Shingle granules found in gutters
- Small dings on gutters and downspouts
- Broken skylights
- Cracked or dented chimney cap
- Dented or ripped window screens
Asphalt Roofing Systems and Hail Damage
Billions of dollars of hail damage occur each year in the United States. Our area has seen a vast number of storms in only the past few years alone, and Colonial Remodeling LLC has been there for our customers through each and every storm. Give us a call to set up your free inspection with one of our experienced insurance restoration technicians.
Further Reading for your Information on Hail Damage:
– Study from the North American Conference on Roofing Technology on the Impact of Hail on Asphalt Shingles
Questions and Answers about Hail Damage:
Q: I don’t see any hail damage to my roof. What’s the emergency?
A: Hail Damage can sometimes be hard to detect with the untrained eye. Colonial Remodeling LLC can assess the damage by carefully going over your roof. Then you can have your insurance adjuster go up on your roof and inspect it for damage. The damage is sometimes visually subtle and you probably will never see actual holes or indentations – but, a heavier hailstorm can knock years off the life of your roof -you’ll be glad you took care of the problem.
Q: How do Roofs Wear Out?
A:Your roof provides protection from weather-related activity; therefore, it naturally deteriorates over time. Damaging rays from the sun, unpleasant temperature fluctuation, exposure to wind, snow, ice, rain, and even walking around on the roof are all contributing to the wear and tear of your shingles.
Q: What about my siding?
A: Siding can also be severely damaged by a hail storm. The best time to inspect your siding is when the sun is low and at an angle. This will make it easier to see any denting that has occurred. Old aluminum siding will show damage more than wood or vinyl, although a heavy storm has been known to put holes in vinyl siding as well.
Q: How do I know I’m dealing with a reputable and experienced company I can depend on?
A: Storm chasers swarm an area almost immediately after a large, damaging storm. They make a quick buck and leave the area to chase the next storm. It is imperative that you check a company through the Better Business Bureau to determine what state they are licensed in (to make sure that they are indeed licensed and insured in your state). Get referrals to guarantee you are dealing with a reputable company. If a company is not local and there are warranty issues later, you may have a problem locating the company and getting them to follow through on their contractual obligations.
Q: How do you handle the process with the Insurance Company?
A: On occasion, if your adjuster is out of state, they may not realize that the costs may be higher. We will be happy to point out differences in pricing to the insurance adjuster, if they have questions about our estimates.
Colonial Remodeling LLC will work with your insurance company to properly identify the scope of work needed to repair your home. We have years of insurance restoration experience of storm damage work which affects our area. We use the Haag Engineering standards on hail and wind damage, (the same industry standards insurance companies are using) which means that you’re working with the most knowledgeable contractor in the Virginia and Maryland areas.
Insurance companies use small areas of the damage to work up an entire claim – usually a 10 x 10 foot area. With a large home, this may not represent the true damage to your home. When Colonial Remodeling LLC inspects your roof, we include an entire roof diagram and use the same software used by insurance companies. We make the process clear and efficient so the process happens quickly.
Colonial Remodeling LLC can help you every step of the way.
- We give you an initial damage assessment.
- We will meet with your insurance carrier if necessary and help point out damage that Colonial Remodeling LLC discovered.
- Complete any home repair needed and get your life and home back to normal as soon as possible.
Why Should You Have Your Home Inspected Today?
- Your home is one of your most important investments, protect it.
- Cosmetic damage to your siding will hurt the resale value of your home.
- Damage to your roof may not be visible to the untrained eye until it has caused secondary problems like leaks.
- Most insurance companies will completely replace your roofing, siding and gutters at no cost to you (except your deductible).
- Most insurance companies have a limited claim period.
Why Should I Call Colonial Remodeling LLC?
- We are Local to Virginia and Maryland.
- We are insurance restoration experts.
- We have thousands of satisfied customers.
- We conduct free, no obligation inspections.
- There is no “out of pocket expense” to homeowners, except your deductible.
- We are licensed, bonded and insured.
- We are a member of the Better Business Bureau & are a James Hardie Preferred Contractor.
- All our work is guaranteed, plus you’ll get a Labor Warranty on Colonial Remodeling LLC‘s work.
Colonial Remodeling LLC will help you get your life back on track by providing work “done the right way.”